Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The letter M.

I love the letter M, many great words start with it. Off the top of my head I can think of three: Mommy, Macroons, and a certain friend whose name starts with the letter M. All great things - all things that I will miss dearly when I go to Africa in EXACTLY 1 WEEK (well, technically 6 days, 23 hours, and 13 minutes until the entire adventure beings, but who's counting!?)

Today started with an early morning dental appointment, the last for the next two years. Ironically, at the end of the appointment they asked me if I wanted to schedule my next visit (they're usually 6 months apart.) I was a bit surprised because I had spend the last half hour struggling through a mouth full of tools to explain to the hygienist where I was going and what I would be doing with the Peace Corps for the next two years. With complete nonchalance she clicked through the calendar to August 2013 (the month I return from the PC) and said "which days works best for you?" Is it weird that having a dental appointment scheduled for when I return makes me feel a bit better about going? It all goes back to the idea that "two years is not forever and I will be back...eventually."

So far, packing is going better than expected. If it hadn't been for my friend whose name starts with the letter M I probably would have had more melt-downs than I did. It seems that I've forgotten how to shop for myself properly because I was completely overwhelmed at each store I went to. Most people who know me will say that I'm relatively calm and collected, even under pressure - well, not today my friend, not today. In between trying to find suitable luggage and stocking up on pepto-bismol, I realized that in order to maintain sanity throughout this process, I just have to focus on all the things I'm taking with me that don't fit into my luggage. I know that I'm a quick learner and highly adaptable (or so I'd like to think) and that I can be very resourceful if need be. I'm hoping these attributes make up for the fact that I plan on trying to stuff as much underwear as I can into my luggage. We all have our vices, mine is underwear.

Without the support of all my amazing friend and family I would definitely not be where I am today. I am who I am because of them and I will miss them every day that I am gone. I'm doing this to not only enrich my life, but hopefully enrich theirs. Another great lady, Marsha* Gay Hardin (*also with an M) spoke at commencement last year and while I don't remember most of her speech, I do remember her saying: "Go forth and find your joy." I plan on doing just that. Wish me luck y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment