Thursday, June 02, 2011

AF 8538 to Togo now boarding...

"Dance the night away, Live your life and stay out on the floor..." as J.Lo would say it. I'm about to leave Philadelphia and for the next 24 hours I will be travelling to Africa (Togo, specifically) to live this crazy adventure known as the Peace Corps. The last few hours in the states have been interesting. Saying goodbye to my loved ones at the airports has been one of the hardest things I think I've ever done, but I'm still alive so I'll take that as a sign that everything is going to be okay. All day yesterday I saw little signs/reminders of home and my loved ones; it was as if someone had lit a pathway for me and I was just along for the ride. (HP reference: It's like a had a bit of Felix Felicius and I was following an illuminated pathway, it was cool.) I just keep hearing this little voice in my head that says "Just put one foot in front of another, it'll be okay." Hopefully that same voice doesn't start telling me to kill myself once I'm on the malaria prophylaxis medication...

Everyone here is AWESOME!! Our group is small, 23 people or so, and so far we've just been getting to know each other. This is the first time EVER where I've been the only person from Texas. It's kidna weird and refreshing and I'm strangely proud of being from such a cool state. The rest of the people in my group going to Togo, also known as Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs), are from all over and everyone has a different/interesting background and story. I'm very much looking forward to this exprience with all of them. Yesterday was a very trying day because on top of being an emotional rollercoaster, I was exhausted. I would feel random waves of sadness throughout the day, and by the end of it all I just wanted to sleep. I'm feeling a lot better today and I'm very much looking forward to the flight to Africa!! Anyone who knows me knows how much I like being in airports, and I'm about to visit two really cool ones (CDG/JFK). I'll try and post something soon after I reach post, but I probably won't be within calling range for a week or so.

Anyways, I feel like I'm blabbing on a bit, so I'll end it here. I love you all very much and I feel safe carrying so many stories, relationships, and love with me to Togo. It's the lighest thing I'm packing, but I also feel like it's going to be the most important. (Except my roommate in Philly had this really cool UV water filter, I'm not gonna lie I was kinda jealous...)

Wish me luck with trying to get all my carry-on luggage on to the plane! I've been practing how to say "Please sir, I really need both of these bags because I'm going to Africa!!" in french. :-)

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you, Ryan! You can do it! -Neda

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But know this; the ones that love us never really leave us. And you can always find them in here." -Sirius Black

    Miss you! Take pictures if you can :)

    ReplyDelete