Monday, June 06, 2011

Home in Lome.

Greetings tout le monde!

I am posting this blog from the Peace Corps headquarters in Lome, Togo. As you may have already read by now, I am officially in Togo as a PST (Peace Corps Trainee)!! Let me just start by saying that I miss you very much, but also that you shouldn't worry too much because I am in very good hands. We are being treated so well here, I am honestly very impressed. Today was the last day of our "pre-pre-service training," and it has been quite fun. It's basically like an RA training session, just in Africa - so I'm pretty cool with it. We learned a lot about how to shit today (Staying Healthy In Togo), literally and figuratively, and we have also been working on getting to know each other better. The two programs in my "Stage" (pronounced: Stah-juh) are the Community Health and AIDS prevention team and the Small Enterprise Development team. Everyone is really great and I feel really lucky to be working with such great people.

A lot of the older PCVs are SUPER cool as well. I totally feel like I've found my "people," which is honestly something I was worried about before coming here. The kinds of people that join the Peace Corps are obviously very diverse, but the common threads are almost always there. Progressive-minded, accepting, and FUN! At our welcome party, someone was playing the new GAGA CD (Shibe, Government Hooker, and Heavy Metal Lover are my favorite) and someone even busted out glow bands at some point - it was awesome.

Tomorrow we are moving in with our host families and I'm very excited to meet them!! I probably won't be able to update my blog for a while while I'm gone, but you can definitely send me packages!! I'll also be getting a phone so that you can call me. I was supposed to get it today, but the guy who was going to sell them to us never showed up (pretty normal practice I assume.) It'll be okay though, I'll get one soon enough and as soon as I figure out a way to send the number out, I will have my PR rep post it. :) *wink*

Love you all beaucoup!! Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! I'm glad you're learning how to stay healthy and that you feel as though you're in good hands. Sending you positive energy!

    ReplyDelete